REYKJAVÍK WHALE WATCHING
The summer is a great time to go whale watching from Reykjavík harbour. In the bay resides a large variety of Whales, dolphins and birds that happily enjoy the long days and bright nights of the Icelandic summer. The minke whales are cheerful and in large numbers, along with the quick and quirky white-beaked dolphins, the cute harbour porpoises and the massive humpback whales.
We have more than 15 years experience of in guiding and operating whale-watching tours in the Faxaflói bay, so you can be certain that we love and respect the whales and the wildlife in our native bay. Our trips always bear in mind the well-being of the whales and we are also active participants in the protection and research of whales.
All of our whale-watching tours start from our ticket office on the Ægisgarður pier at the Old Harbour in Reykjavík. You can purchase tickets there or exchange vouchers if you have booked a prepaid trip. Your whale watching guide will meet you in our Whale Watching Centre, which is located on board a big old fishing vessel that is permanently placed at the pier.
Before or after the tour you can enjoy the onboard multimedia show that includes images, and videos and will teach you facts about the whales and marine life in Icelandic waters.
The tour’s highlights include seeing the minke whales, humpbacks, harbour porpoises and sea birds in their native homes. If you want to see whales AND puffins, check out the Whales, Puffins & Reykjavík tour.
- Expertly guided whale watching tour in Faxaflói Bay
- Elding boat. Our specially modified whale watching ships all have big viewing decks as well as indoor facilities such as cafeteria and toilets.
- Warm overalls in case of cold weather
- Access to the Whale Watching Centre
- Wireless internet on board
- “Whale Guarantee” If we find no whales on your tour you get another free try on our classic tour
What do I need to bring
Dress according to weather. In Iceland it is always smart to dress in warm and waterproof clothes, weather changes are swift so prepare expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended.*
* If you don’t have warm clothing we will supply you with a very warm overall and more gear, as well as having some sweaters to lend